11/15/10

Muffins and Performance Art


Although Berlin and DC are not entirely dissimilar, there are some major differences that can't be explained just by language or culture. For example, why do Germans like the band eels so much? Why do they largely prefer to roll their own cigarettes? Why is there such a bottomless pit of fondness for performance art? And why, oh why, do they have thousands of baked products of every type and assortment, but barely pay any attention to such classics as muffins, bagels, and cupcakes?

I've been trying to correct this by keeping lots of muffins and bagels around to tempt my friends and roommates. (Cupcakes, unfortunately, are out of reach at the moment as I have no hand-mixer for frosting.) The other day I made non-plum muffins for once, instead using apples and lots of cinnamon and topping them off with peanut butter caramel, in an act of mindless rebellion to use up the last drops of my precious Canadian maple syrup. However, I wasn't really able to spread the gospel of muffins since I ate almost all of them. But whatever.

As for the performance art affinity, I have gotten the opportunity to get an inside perspective, since I am actually participating in some today and tomorrow! Yes friends, I will stand in a dark auditorium, while ambient electronic music blasts from the speakers, and my colleagues and I will hold up large drywall pieces that we slowly spin around every 5 minutes. It is very meaningful, not mention tiring.

And although I have no idea what the hell the point is of this exercise, I am doing it anyways. First of all, because it is ART! And second, because I am getting paid 50€. I expect that this will make a large impact on the scene here, and I will hopefully become a very famous performance artist. And then I will be able to afford gallons of maple syrup and make as many muffins as I like! I'll let you know how it goes...

Song of the Day: Art Brut- Formed a Band

5 comments:

Mihl said...

Ha, ha, by boyfried is a huge fan of the eels.

miss v said...

the german quirks really do crack me up. especially when they are all laid out like that. i bet your drywall stint will change the face of post modern art forever. :)

jessy said...

i like the eels, although they can be really sadfaced a lot of the times. kinda depressingly-happy music. crazy! those germans crack me up! ahahaa! sooo awesome on the performance peice, T - let us know how it goes, and as for your muffins. HOT DAMN! peanut butter caramel. enough said. :D

Amey said...

ha ha, great post! I hope your drywall twirling is as magnificent as your muffins!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Delicious-looking stuff!!