Ahh, lasagna. The ultimate comfort food. Everyone has their own version. My Mom's (vegan) version is simple, quick, and laced with artichokes. You don't even have to spend time cooking the noodles, cutting down the prep time significantly. I've had the kind with meat and cheese substitutes, and those have their charm, but why mess with imitation when just vegetables by themselves can be pretty perfect?
Lasagna alla Barbie
-1 package lasagna noodles
-1 large jar marinara sauce (or make your own)
-1 package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
-1 yellow or white onion, diced into large pieces
-a few handfuls of spinach, washed
-1 jar artichokes, drained and sliced
1. Coat a casserole dish with non-stick spray and preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a saute pan, cook the mushrooms and diced onions in EVOO until onions are translucent. Toss with some salt and pepper and transfer to a plate with a paper towel.
3. Slice the zucchini and saute in the same pan with a little more EVOO. When softened, sprinkle with oregano and transfer to another plate with paper towel.
4. Now come the fun part. Splash a little tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan and set down your first 3 noodles.
5. Start to layer the ingredients, beginning with the spinach. Reserve 1/2 of each other portion for the next layer.
6. Keep on layering till you run out of ingredients. In my house we layer cheese on half too for the non-vegans. :)
7. Layer a little more sauce on top and cover with tin foil. Place in the oven for 30-45 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for twenty or so more, or until sauce is bubbling.
Even better as leftovers, when "the flavors have gotten to know eachother" as my Mom says. Although leftovers rarely make it to the next day in my house.