7/29/10

Summer Pie Madness


Why, when it is hot enough to melt off my make-up, do I suddenly have the urge to make pies? It is not to please my boyfriend, who is completely indifferent to most sweet things I try to force on him. Its not to get rid of all the extra fruit I have growing in my non-existent orchard. I guess its just because when I look at a peach or carton of blueberries, I instantly envision bubbling fruit surrounded by a sweet flaky crust and topped with some ice cream. Let's just say I have a one-track mind.

However, I do not have the skills to match it. Check out this disaster of a blueberry pie.

Well, it wasn't so bad. The blueberries were lekker. But the crust was not much to see, mainly because I could not master keeping it flaky in such warm weather. I kept re-rolling it, only to find it harder and harder to put it into the pan without it breaking. And then when I did, of course, it was overrun by out-of-control blueberries, so that it was more like some kind of neglected pandowdy or something.

But for the lovely, and tiny, peach pie you see framing either side of the page, I took the great advice of the lovely Urban Vegan and just basically did not mix the dough AT ALL. Just the tiniest bit. And it turned out so lovely! (Her cookbook is just full of such tips, btw.)

I topped it with some quick cashew cream and the whole thing was just marvelous for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (Didn't last much longer than that.) I'm also lusting for some cherry pie, but I really need to find someone who likes sweets more than my boyfriend, because I cannot continue to eat these things all by my lonesome. (Not a good reason to break up with him, but I'll be sure to bring it up in some upcoming fight. "You never eat my pies!" I'll scream...)



Song of the Day: My Bloody Valentine- Strawberry Wine

10 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Not so mad after all, I'd definitely take some of that boyfriend-neglected pie off of your hands.

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! What stunning photos. I'd like a few slices of those beautiful pies, please. They look so gorgeous and fresh, just bursting with bright summer flavor.

Anonymous said...

Your pies look lovely! I was planning on making a blueberry one this weekend. There is just something about summer fruits that screams "Turn me into a pie!"

Shaheen said...

I have a thing for savoury pies at the moment, but these sweet pies YUMMY would be great for afters.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Lovely pies! Even the blueberry pie looks pretty appetizing to me. Glad to hear the peach pie came out well- I learned how to make pie crust from a 90 year old woman, and knowing the tricks is half the battle.

Mihl said...

Everything looks lecker! I'd love a slice of that blueberry pie!

Bliss Doubt said...

"Why, when it is hot enough to melt off my make-up, do I suddenly have the urge to make pies?"

I've asked that question too. I think it's because our aunties and grandmas, and even our moms, served us pies made from summer's bounty, with a scoop of ice cream, and we want to recover that measure of comfort.

As an exercise in double negatives (I think), not only does your blueberry pie not look not bad, it looks delicious!

I can't do a pie crust either. I don't even have room to roll one out in my kitchen, but now I'm over the summer pie craving. I just love eating peaches over the sink, berries over ice cream, soft summer fruit in salads with nuts.

Enjoy!

Shari said...

Loving the blog! If your in the market for more unique additions to your pantry visit VeganFoodStore.com for all your vegan groceries.

Michelle said...

I have that problem of baking when it is ridiculously hot out too! Yum yum yum pies! and Booooo to your boyfriend not eating your yummy pies, seriously!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That looks marvelous.