7/8/10

Summertime in the USA


Now this is American summer to me: soy hot dogs, grocery store buns, vidalia onions and ketchup. Oh yeah, and 110 degree weather. I'm back in DC for a wedding, but I intend to squeeze a lot of enjoyment out of my visit, particularly since I missed July 4th. I want to ride bikes with my Dad, talk anarchism and art with my little brother, and see movies and cook with my Mom. And after a whole year of heady, strong, luscious German and Belgian beer... I'm ready for some weak-ass Miller Light and Yuengling. :P

I've also been missing having easy access to a grill in Berlin and decided to have an all-grilled dinner for my first night back.

We made grilled corn, generously bedecked with earth balance, salt and pepper. Also grilled slices of sweet potatoes, marinated in lime juice, maple syrup, and mustard (and a little olive oil) that was brushed on during the grilling. And finally kebabs with a line-up of cherry tomatoes, marinated tempeh, and vidalia onion chunks. It was a great and filling meal- and lord how I've missed sweet corn and vidalia onions! I had no idea.


I intend to do a lot more cooking for the brief time I'm home and catch up on all the southern specialties I've been missing, particularly fresh blueberries and (sigh!) kale. Ahhh. Its good to be back.

Song of the Day: Tom Petty- American Girl

12 comments:

Bianca said...

Oooh, I love that giant soy dog picture. I never tire of soy dogs. Or grilled corn. Have fun while you're back here!

Anonymous said...

yummm! great looking soy dogs. and onions and ketchup are my fav toppings too :)

Miss Kitchen Witch said...

those grilled sweet potatoes look soooo good right now...

*drool


http://misskitchenwitch.blogspot.com

jess_fildespages said...

This looks perfect. I'm planning on roasting some corn, myself. Summer vegan fun is can be so exciting, even in 100degree weather!

Michelle said...

YUM! Everything looks so so good. Enjoy your trip here!

Mihl said...

You should totally bring that grill with you to Berlin, he. I'd come over all the time!

Sarah (GF vegan) said...

Welcome home! :)

Love grilled vegies and blueberries.

The Voracious Vegan said...

This post just screams SUMMERTIME! It's absolutely beautiful, what gorgeous photography. It makes me want to kick of my shoes, scrunch my toes down into the grass, and lounge in the sun all afternoon. This was great, thanks!

Carrie said...

I never thought of grilling sweet potato slices like that - what a great idea!

jessy said...

hooray for time at home with your family and friends, T! i hope you're having a glorious time! isn't sweet corn the best? we love it so much, and vidalia onions (we recently made some more of isa's onion rings), 'n lots o' kethcup, too. ;) grilled sweet potatoes sounds like a rock'n idea - one we'll have to try. dan and i have yet to have a proper cookout and i think it's about time. enjoy the hell outta some american beer, riding bikes, catching up, and cook southern yummies to fill your belly. can't wait to see what other yumminesses you cook up. w00t!

miss v said...

grillin' definitely defines american summers. what a great song to match!

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

MMMMM I love the grill, girl! Good call, and welcome back. Enjoy the heat!