9/13/10

A Day at the Mauerpark Flea Market


With the startling re-emergence of good weather in Berlin (but not for long, I fear), we decided to take a trip to the giant flea market at Mauerpark in Prenzlauerberg."Mauerpark" is named after the Berlin wall, which used to run through the area and designate it a large strip of no-go zone, but now it's a large park that holds a weekly flea market full of everything your little heart could desire. We love to go to browse through records, Donald Duck comics, and tons of vintage clothes, as well as to gobble bruschetta and arepas while watching the public kareoke, which always includes a rapturous version of "I did it my way" by an old man with a great voice and self-made German lyrics. All in all, its a great example of something that used to be quite horrible that has altered completely in the new Berlin. Definitely worth a visit.






1 comment:

Bianca said...

Wow! Those baby dolls are super creepy! I have a weird fascination with creepy dolls. Also, love all those earrings. I wanna go to Germany!!! My family (on my mom's side) is German, and I've always thought it'd be neat to see where they came from.