9/6/10

Gemüsekiste Central


Look at all my purple CSA babies...

So I've still been adjusting to the awesomeness of having a CSA basket delivered (auf Deutsch, gemüsekiste) and how to use up the relatively large bounty between two people. So far, though, its been pretty easy going and my bf is pretty game to try out new things. Last week we had a huge bag of tiny plums, and I recalled from last year's plum cake experiments that Mihl of Seitan is My Motor is the resident tiny-plum expert. Luckily, she has just posted a recipe for slivovice plum compote that fit the ticket perfectly, and I had a bottle of dusty Mirabellen brandy in the cabinet that handily replaced the slivovivovice (or however you spell it.)

Guys, it was so good I wish we got nothing but plums from now on out. I kept on poking my finger in it and spreading it on anything we had around (like a simit, weirdly) but we eventually spooned it over milk-rice (a German kind of rice pudding, with soymilk, natch) and everyone was very happy. Thanks Mihl! You win at life, and plums.

We also had a little issue of disposing of the two(!) huge kohlrabi we got in the basket. Here's a sample conversation:

Me: So, are ever going to eat all that kohrabi?
S: Was?
Me: You know, that weird green vegetable that smells like broccoli?
S: Ach, ja, kohl-raaaah-bee.... hmmmm.... yeah we really should eat those...
Me: Maybe you could like, make some kind of German soup or something?
S: Or you could make some kind of American kohrabi stir-fry oder so?

....BOTH: Or maybe we could just have spaghetti again.

So eventually I won and S. made some soup! I was really impressed, it tasted a bit like broccoli and potato soup, a creamy and perfectly acceptable way to get rid of the bizarre looking vegetable.

If you're looking to get rid of some kohrabi of your own, its basically this: 2 diced kohlrabi and one potato, 1/2 onion, 4 garlic, and plenty of veg broth. Cook until everything is soft, then blend with some soy creamer and salt and pepper to taste. Dunno the exact measurements unfortunately, as it comes from an old German cookbook and I'm not quite there yet with my German. (Soon!)

And so now we've got the box for the next week and I'm looking forward to introducing S. to the joy of beets... And since its already getting cold in Berlin, I imagine we have many more soups in our future.


Song of the day: Interpol- Barricade

5 comments:

Tea and Sympatico said...

Ooh, I love rice pudding, that looks delicious!

Mihl said...

I am jealous of your Gemüsekiste! Thank you for trying the recipe, I think having it with Milchreis sounds perfect! I wanted to make a blog entry about Milchreis one day, now I really have to!
I am a huge fan of raw Kohlrabi but I think this time, I have to cook it and make your soup.

Amey said...

ha ha, what a fun post! I saw Mihl's post and wished that I had little plums to make that with. It looks and sounds amazing.
:) Also, I like kohlrabi chopped up raw in salads, it's easy and yums!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, kohlrabi soup! I keep seeing Milch Reis in the markets here.

thanida said...

hey nice blog man i really liked your work
เว็บย่อลิ้ง
เว็บย่อลิ้งค์
ย่อลิ้ง
ย่อurl
ย่อเว็บ