1/24/09

Potatoes Faux Gratin, Take 2, and BBQ Tofu

Photobucket

Well its a few days after the inauguration and the whole nation seems to be in a state of post-inaugural bliss, turning to one another, taking a drag of their cigarette, and asking, "how was it for you?" I'm still having fun hearing my friend's anecdotes from the day, checking out everyone's pictures and chatting with people on the metro. Today, a man bedecked in blinking Obama buttons was standing outside the metro doors when I got off besides a mother and her adorable toddler son. The little boy pointed and shouted "Obaaaaa-maaaaa!" It was so cute I almost fainted.

At any rate, my energy is still pretty high and I decided to make myself a complete dinner, with different parts, as opposed to the one-pot meals I've been living off lately. (Yes, the prospect of dirty dishes cannot stop me now!) I made the BBQ tofu from V'Con, some broiled asparagus topped with a little balsamic reduction, and another take on my potato dish. This time, however, I layered sweet and regular potatoes, cut the milk, added more salt and a pinch of garlic powder, and topped the whole thing with japanese bread crumbs (panko.) This was somewhat better than my last try, and went great with the tangy BBQ sauce. Here's my recipe, keeping in mind that a) its a small, single girl portion, and b) that I will probably keep tinkering with it.

Two Potato Faux Gratin Serves 1, with leftovers

-1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into thin rounds
-1 med boiling potato, peeled and cut into thin rounds
-unsweetened soymilk
-soy creamer
-pinch nutmeg and garlic powder
-Salt and pepper
-A handful of panko mixed with nooch

1. Butter a tiny casserole dish with some earth balance and preheat the oven to 350. Add both kinds of potatoes to a small pot, and fill almost to covering with equal part soymilk and soy creamer.
2. Add in a nutmeg, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
3. Remove from heat and spoon out potatoes into dish, arranging if desired. Pour remaining sauce in to cover, then sprinkle nooch and panko over top. Cook until bubbly and browned on top, about 25 minutes.

Song of the Day: Ton Steine Scherben- Rauchhaus Song

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Woah, this is ridiculous, you always step it up girl! Love V'con- only the best!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

The whole PLATE looks amazing!! The Two Potato Faux Gratin is perfect for this potato lover!

That's so cute about the kid pointing and saying Obama!

Anonymous said...

Blogger doesn't want to let me comment! Those taters sound great - it's hard to come up with single-serving recipes!

jessy said...

sweet jeebus! two potato faux gratin, bbq tofu, AND asparagus with a balsamic reduction?!?! hellz yeah! :) that's one plate of awesome right there.

thanks for the recipe, too! dan & i are gonna have to try it out! your gratin looks fantastically stellar! mmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Potatoes Au Gratin and Ton, Steine, Scherben sounds like a perfect day!