11/6/07

Thanksgiving Menus


Thanksgiving is a notoriously tough holiday for vegans and vegetarians alike. Family members may be bewildered to learn that you have recently changed your diet. Or, it might be a long-running family joke. Or, like my family, they could be pretty accepting of the vegetarian stuff, but constantly urging you to partake of the dairy filled delights on display. Whether you are avoiding food or relatives, it doesn't make for the most fulfilling holiday.

So why not throw your own? Over the next couple weeks I'll be posting possible menus- perfect for your own feast, or as a chance to pick a few to tote along to the fam's festivities. Trust me, it will be a lot more satisfying than trying to make it on brussel sprouts alone.

Menu #1: Traditional All the Way

This meal (minus the tofurkey, which I ca't justify for just me) is basically what I eat every year. Over the last 5 years, I have slowly (very slowly) convinced my Mom and Aunt to make small substitutions in their age-old recipes that make them more vegan friendly. Amazingly, after trying it once, they have stuck to it! (Mostly because there is literally no difference in taste.) I mean, even when I switched to vegetarian my Mom still used soymilk and earth balance! How awesome is that?

Tofurkey Turkey.

Cranberry Sauce

Commercial stuffing (hopefully with cranberries!) omitting the chicken broth.

Green Bean Casserole using vegan mushroom soup in lieu of Cambells.

Mashed potatoes w/ earth balance and soymilk.

Easy, Fabulous Sweet potatoes a la my Aunt Mary:

2 (big) Cans Sweet potatoes in syrup
Brown sugar
2 Apples
Soymilk
Earth Balance
Pecans

1. Preheat oven to 375. Pour out your sweet potatoes, reserving a few tablespoons of the syrup. Mash them in a medium casserole dish with the syrup, a little soymilk, and a tablespoon of brown sugar. (Whip 'em if you feel like it.) Next, slice your apples into thin, lengthwise slices, and cover the sweet potato mixture. Last, roughly chop the pecans and mix them with a fork with about 2 tablespoons earth balance and 1 1/2 tbs brown sugar. When this mixture is crumbly and the pecans are fairly coated, sprinkle this evenly over top of the apples. Bake until brown and bubbly on top.

And for dessert, Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie.

1 comment:

Rachael Narins said...

I tried Tofurky last year (one of our guests wanted one) and I have admit, I found it ghastly. It was just really bland and rubbery. I should have just OD'd on Brussel Sprouts and saved myself the bother. LOL. Hopefully another company will come out with something better, but until then, I guess it's all there is...

By the way, your blog is terrif!

Mwoah,
Rachael