11/1/07

Veganomicon!


I've been drooling over this new master vegan cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero ever since I got it. I haven't cooked anything yet, but that doesn't mean I can't give my first impressions, right? The first thing to note about it is that its HUGE.

Well, relatively huge. Vegan cookbooks tend to be smaller than veggie cookbooks or other kinds. I have no idea why.. maybe they figure they can set you up with some ideas and you can just run with it? (Bananas instead of eggs in baked goods- brilliant!) But that comprehensiveness that I value in tomes like Joy of Cooking and other classics is something that easily applies to vegan cookbooks- sometimes I just can't remember a pancake recipe or need a refresher on salad dressing and don't want to have to make something up.

Anyways, Veganomicon isn't necessarily the Joy of Cooking for vegans (maybe that prize belongs to the Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard classics) but it definitely is packed with a lot more ideas- from grocery shopping to grilling- than most cookbooks. And the recipes really run the gamut. I love the fact that there are recipes that only a real veggie-freak could love ("Braised Seitan with Brussels, Kale, and Sun-dried Tomatoes") and ones that you could easily imagine serving to your grandparents (like their "Penne Vodka" which cleverly subs almond cream for half and half.)

Its also extremely ethnically diverse (gotta love Brooklyn) featuring their versions of Jambalaya, Cholent, Mole Sauce, and various risottos. I've also noticed a lot of yummy Jewish recipes that would be perfect for the holidays.

Like I said, the book is big. So go check it out. In the meantime, their website has some sample recipes (like the potato and kale enchiladas pictured here) to tide you over.

VEGANOMICON!

No comments: