11/5/10

Coconut Kale with a side of douchery


So sometimes I get a little annoyed with the NY Times and their food section's pissy coverage of vegetarian food. It will always be like, "here's a decent vegetarian side dish that goes great alongside ribs for us normal people!" Or like, touting bacon ice cream as the greatest thing ever and mocking those who think its kind of offensive. Today was no exception, in the short article "The Greens Party" in which the author discusses a bunch of "dudes" at an Indian restaurant who just ordered meat, to the chagrin of the chef who suggested they also eat some token veggies, to be healthy (or whatever.) After discussing the shared recipe for coconut grilled kale the author says,
Made over a charcoal fire or even in a wickedly hot pan, it becomes a dish of uncommon flavor, the sort of thing you could eat on its own, with only a mound of basmati rice for contrast.

But you know, why would you? Here in America, after all, we will always be from Montana somehow.

Lame. I'm so sure there are no vegetarians in Montana and they all subsist solely on cattle based products. I'm also sure that real men don't eat vegetables unless they are grilled. (RAWR!) Anyways, despite the annoying (so annoying) coverage as usual of vegetarian dishes, I took one look at the recipe and thought... "but actually... I have spinach, coconut milk, and lemons in the fridge...."

So I made it. And I wish I could say it was bad, alongside some roasted pumpkin and basmati rice, but dammit, it was delicious. (I seriously took the first bite and was like, "HA! Not good at.... DOH!") So here's the recipe, but don't take it as my tacit approval of the Times snarky vegetarian coverage, just take it as a yummy kale or spinach recipe that has a few of everybody's favorite things in it, and really doesn't need like, a mound of lamb skewers to accompany it. (It also doesn't need 4 hours of marinating.) But that's according to me, not to the Times.

Song of the Day: MGMT- Its Working

10 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

heh. great post. very tongue in cheek. Im in! :)

Sophia said...

That looks like a yummy meal! My newspaper has those odd lame veggie recipe's too, looks like they come out of an 80's magazine.


Please enter my great CSN stores giveaway:
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/2010/11/csn-stores-giveaway-deadline-friday.html

-Sophia

Lindsey Mills said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey Mills said...

I would agree completely with your critique except for the fact that this NY Times blog has recently taken to featuring exclusively veggie recipes for "A Vegetarian Thanksgiving": http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/category/eat-well/

Pretty helpful, and encouraging! Hope this is a sign of more positive coverage in the future...

Anonymous said...

T - I you're so funny (and right!). This post made my day - I so agree.

jessy said...

i'm so happy i'm not the only one who's noticed the NY times douchebaggery - especially when it comes to covering vegetarian recipes and such. morons. but kick ass on the coconutty kale. damn, i've gotta try that. thanks, T - and i hope you're enjoying your weekend!

adriennefriend said...

Heh :]

Anonymous said...

I ♥ you! tanx for the recipe... and the commentary :D

Dinetonite said...

90221636
66466641

emily said...

I know 2 vegetarians who reside in Montana :)