11/2/10

Tahini Two Ways


Tahini is one of those ingredients that people are rarely aware of before they turn vegan, like agave nectar, kale, or almond butter. But upon being tapped by the vegan fairy, you are obligated to consume large quantities of it in everything from soup to muffins, and I gladly oblige, especially since its so cheap and plentiful here in Germany! Its one of the middle eastern ingredients I've become exceedingly fond of, alongside pomengranate molasses. I'm basically using both every day.

Last night I made a simple tahini-miso dressing (equal parts tahini and dark miso, a bit of agave and some water whisked together) to drizzle over roasted sweet potatoes and carrots, alongside rice and garlicky rainbow chard. It was such a light and perfect meal, and the tahini sauce was a total match made in heaven for the sweet potatoes.

Then, this morning, still on my tahini kick, I whipped up a big batch of thick, spreadable hummus for my sesame and poppy seed bagels du jour, which my friend and I happily gobbled up drizzled in a little pomengranate molasses. Total heaven.


And I've heard that sesame seeds have calming properties, which is good since I am fairly freaked about the elections today in the USA. I guess not all tea-partiers are anti-gay, anti-immigrant, ultra-nationalist religious fundamentalists, right? RIGHT?

Song of the Day: NOFX- We got to jealous agains

PS: You absolutely MUST go check out Kittee's Dia de los Muertos sugar skulls at Cake Maker to the Stars and Amey's equally gorgeous and outrageous sugar cookies at Vegan Eats and Treats, I'm so in awe!

10 comments:

Allysia said...

bagels...*drool* despite their impractical shape, they are the superior grain product. In my own mind, anyway! :)

Anonymous said...

hmm I am loving your dishes and getting excited about what I will see this week..Congrats on getting featured on the Mofo Blog yesterday you earned it!

Vic Robinson said...

I love bagels! I have been totally craving them recently! Yum!

Sarah S. said...

Way to go on that tahini sauce, my roasted veggies need a boost just such as this. I'm on it!

Happy MoFo!

Anonymous said...

I need to use tahini more, whenever I really like something someone else made they always say there is tahini in it. I only use for hummus.

I'm trying not to be nervous about the election too. I can't wait to vote!

Just Us said...

Bagels and hummus...can't get much better than that. :o)

Brittany Boersma said...

Great post! You've gotta try tahini, hot sauce and soy sauce together! Totally awesome on veggies on rice!

Anonymous said...

Tahnin everything! I went through a phase two years ago where I think we ate tahini once a day -dressing, rolls, breads, cookies, stew...I didn't feel calm, but happy my tummy was!

Anonymous said...

It's probably not very obvious, but I LOVE tahini!!! My favorite way to enjoy tahini: spread on homemade pita and sprinkled with za'atar. Good stuff!

jd said...

I completely agree about tahini - I didn't fully fall in love with it until I became vegan... Now it's like, woah, what kind of life was I living without you?! LOL!

Congrats on joining VeganMoFo this year. Looks like we're newbies together :)