10/12/11

Vegan Mofo: Polenta w/ Plantains and Onions

I know what you are thinking. "Sweet Lord, this woman eats a lot of plantains." Yes, ok, but  in comparison to Budapest, Berlin might as well be the Dominican Republic for how many plantains are available and I am taking advantage while I still can. These dear "koch bananen" are so wonderful in savory stews, curries, enchiladas.. you name it, and I miss them terribly when I'm gone. (Gone where, you ask? Weeeelll I am in the first stages of arranging a move to Belgrade, Serbia in a few months to continue the work I started in Budapest on statelessness and legal invisibility. Its exciting!)

For this "recipe" I simply browned some plantains and some onions in a pan while boiling the water for polenta. When said water was boiled, I whisked in the polenta, then waited till it was thickened to add in plantains and onions. On top was plenty of salt, pepper, sweet paprika, cumin and hot sauce. A perfectly decadent comfort food lunch. Also, polenta is so cheap and makes so much, it is an excellent investment for the pantry.



4 comments:

x said...

I love plantains too! And you're right, you have buy them when you can because they're not always available. I like that you've combined them with onions and polenta, I bet it was really filling.

jessy said...

plantains are one of my favorites - and polenta isn't that far off. i can't believe i never thought to combine the two. awesome and brilliant and absolutely delicious look'n, T. i'm gonna hunt down some plantains now 'cause i want a gigantical bowl of awesome, too!

Fanny said...

I've never had plantains. Yep, that's sad but true! It's quite rare and expensive here, but I should totally buy some soon. I just have to find the perfect recipe so that I don't waste it. And Belgrade, how exiting! The kind of work you do sounds great.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are moving to Belgrade! Can I come visit? Also I the plantains dish looks fab and simple, I so love plantains, I would eat them every day if I could!