11/1/07

Pumpkin Soup



Sometimes the best vegan recipes come from non-vegans. After all, there are plenty of dishes that are just incidentally meat and dairy free that are intended as side dishes. But Rachael from Fresh Approach Cooking has an excellent habit of making vegetables the centerpiece of her creative meals.

(Incidentally, I actually think I would have a huge crush on this woman if I ever met her. She's an awesome cook, blogger, and photographer, and she calls her readers "peaches!" LOVE!)

Anyways, I tried out her "Morrocan Pumpkin Soup" the other day and it was scrumptious. Particularly with a couple pieces of whole wheat toast and a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. Here's the recipe, and below some links to some of my other favorite recipes by her.
--------------------------------------------------
Morrocan Pumpkin Soup

2 15 oz. cans pumpkin
2 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, minced (I did this in the Cuisinart)
6 cups vegetable stock
2 15 oz cans chick peas, with liquid
2 T tomato paste
pinch of cayenne
smaller pinch of nutmeg
cilantro or parsley for garnish

Saute the onion in the oil, until tender.

Combine the onion, squash, broth, liquid from garbanzo beans and one can of the beans. Heat a few minutes, then puree. This is best done with an immersion blender.

Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. Add remaining garbanzo beans, garnish with cilantro and serve.

[I upped the spices considerably when I made it, and added some ginger and garam masala. Totally depends on taste.]

--------------------------------------------------
Other awesome recipes from Fresh Approach:

Carrot Cashew Cream Pasta
*Tried this the other day and it was way awesomer than I expected.

Spicy Mushroom Tamales

Eggplant, Pumpkin , and Tofu in Garlic Sauce

Green Beans w/ Ginger Tomato Chutney

1 comment:

Rachael Narins said...

You peach! I am mad, mad, MAD for you! And blushing like a teenager...

This is so sweet, and I am super-mega-ultra-excited that you liked the soup! It's a dream, innit.

Mwoah,
Your biggest fan,
Rachael