10/9/12

Vegan Mofo: Miss America

Mashed potatoes and chickpea gravy, spicy tofu, steamed veggies
You know, its really great living in Germany and I have a great life here. But sometimes, its unavoidable, I just miss the USA.  I miss being able to get a bagel or a vegan cupcake or a soy pumpkin latte with great ease. I miss being able to watch the Daily Show at 11 pm instead of the next morning. Hell, I miss "pm". I miss movies without subtitles. And I especially miss that special brand of sarcasm, pop-culture references, and absurdity that defines the American sense of humor.

My hubby just went to Toronto last week, and thought its not the US, (its in a place called "Canada" for those of you who don't know) I was still insanely jealous that he was on the North American continent, with possible fleeting access to bagels and the kind of boisterous diversity that Germany has yet to accomplish. So this week, as I was focusing on my Vegan Mofo topic of "Soul Food" I was trying to think about what kind of Soul Food is really 'Merican. For me, really, it comes down to TV dinners and Pad Thai.

Sure, Pad Thai isn't very American, but that's what I grew up on (at least on special occasions) and the fact that Northern VA has such a embarassing riches of great Thai restaurants (among great Ethiopean, Salvadorean, Peruvian, ect) is EXTREMELY American. On the other side of the spectrum are the convenience foods- Mac and Cheese, Hot Dogs, Hamburger Helper- that people of a certain age and class grew up with.

Anyways, long explanation over- I was longing for some USA soul food today, so I went for what is to me classic TV dinner- Mashed potatoes and chickpea gravy, steamed broccoli and carrots, and some mystery meat (in this case, tofu is our meatloaf stand-in.) Simple and perfect- now it just needs one of those mushy microwaveable brownies....

Next up, Pad Thai!


Song of the Day: Weezer- American Girls


3 comments:

Bianca said...

That plate looks delicious!! I can't imagine living abroad. I know I'd miss this crazy place too. I always talk about how awesome other places probably are, but when it comes down to it, this little, weird country is all I know...

Amey said...

what a sweet post. I remember when I spent a year living in Italy, just how much I missed home. As for food, the thing I missed most was Mexican food. Growing up in California, food from home pretty much means mexican food. To this day, the first meal I eat after every trip is pretty much always mexican food. Mmm.

adriennefriend said...

Oh man, thanks for the reality check. Nate and I have talked about living abroad in Berlin - he really wants to - but you make me second guess it all. ;-) And please! Seriously! Honestly! If you EVER want me to send anything, just ask!! <3